Monuments

Walking Tour Ser’i Otrobanda

Posted by on Jun 12th, 2013 in Monuments | Comments Off on Walking Tour Ser’i Otrobanda

Walking Tour Ser’i Otrobanda

The Walking Tour is a new concept in a non-touristy part of Otrobanda. This tour will lead the tourist through narrow alleyways, historic monuments and other places of interest in the Ser’i Otrobanda area. The participants will get a unique glimpse into the rich history of Ser’i Otrobanda! Recent research has shown that the tourists who come to Curaçao are more and more interested in the rich history of Willemstad. Ser’i Otrobanda is therefore an outstanding example of a part of Willemstad that is still relatively undiscovered by...

read more

1
De Rouvilleweg 3 t/m 23 “Koraal Agostini”

Posted by on Apr 29th, 2013 in Monuments, Monuments oud | Comments Off on

1
De Rouvilleweg 3 t/m 23 “Koraal Agostini”

1De Rouvilleweg 3 t/m 23 “Koraal Agostini”

History On 25 January 1737 the West Indian Trading Company grants Dorothea Brugman a piece of land on the bank of the St. Anna Bay on which she has a dwelling house and annexes erected. In 1778 her daughter, miss Sijbrecht van Uijtrecht, widow of Wigboldus Rasveld, inherits the lot and the buildings. At a public auction in 1807, when Gerard Marten Ellis becomes the owner, the premises are completely built over with ‘two dwelling houses of two floors, two cisterns, a house consisting of an entrance hall and a room, a gallery and a...

read more

2
Ijzerstraat 10-12

Posted by on Apr 28th, 2013 in Monuments, Monuments oud | Comments Off on

2
Ijzerstraat 10-12

2Ijzerstraat 10-12

History The lot of IJzerstraat 10-12 has – formed part of a larger plot, which at the beginning of the 18th century belonged to James Smith (see Kura Hulanda.) After that the property has changed hands often. In 1886 a vacant part of the plot is sold to Augustin Bethencourt jr., who has the present monument IJzerstraat 10-12 built there. After he passed away in 1905 the house was resold several times. At the beginning of the 20th century the property was rented to Barberina van der Dijs, who was called Shon Anina. She had learned the...

read more

3
Langestraat 2-8, IJzerstraat 29-33 “Bellevue-complex”

Posted by on Apr 27th, 2013 in Monuments, Monuments oud | Comments Off on

3
Langestraat 2-8, IJzerstraat 29-33 “Bellevue-complex”

3Langestraat 2-8, IJzerstraat 29-33 “Bellevue-complex”

History George Leon is the oldest known owner of the lot on which the cur-rent Bellevue complex is built. From 1844 to 1874 he owned the lot where he had a house built in 1856. In 1874 Leon sold the lot to the merchant Eugene Gazan, who ordered a new house built. Quite probably he made use of the substructure of the former house for that. On the northwestern side he has a two-storied kitchen build-ing added. On 3 June 1875 the house is declared fit for habitation. Gazan christens the house ‘Bellevue’, and has the name together...

read more

4
Langestraat 36-46-48-50-58

Posted by on Apr 26th, 2013 in Monuments, Monuments oud | Comments Off on

4
Langestraat 36-46-48-50-58

4Langestraat 36-46-48-50-58

History In 1854 Cathalina Isenia Helm, the wife of merchant Thomas Cornelis Haayen, buys the western part of a piece of land on which the couple has a house built in 1855 (Langestraat 52-54). In 1857 the big house (Langestraat 56-58) is built. The Haayen-Helm family lived in this house for years. As a merchant Thomas Haayen traveled to Europe regularly to buy merchandise, which he then sold in Venezuela and in Curacao. The merchandise was sold, among other places, on the ground floor of the large dwelling. In 1859 Cathalina Isenia Helm buys...

read more

5
Langestraat 34

Posted by on Apr 25th, 2013 in Monuments, Monuments oud | Comments Off on

5
Langestraat 34

5Langestraat 34

History Langestraat 34 is situated on a piece of and that in the 19th century used to be part of a larger plot with the old section number 53 (the first quarter of Otro-banda). The former ‘Kura di Shon Martinus Boom’, on which the Willem de Zwijger School was later built, was also part of this lot. The oldest known owner is Guillermo Charles Kabrol. In 1825 his heirs still had a cemetery at the northwestern corner of the property. In the first decades of the 19th century the premises were property of Louis Gavaso and his widow...

read more

6
Frederikstraat 81 “Villa Real”

Posted by on Apr 24th, 2013 in Monuments, Monuments oud | Comments Off on

6
Frederikstraat 81 “Villa Real”

6Frederikstraat 81 “Villa Real”

History “Villa Real” was built in 1881 by order of Wilhelm Ernst Boye. He was the owner of a large plot on the south side of the Bergstraat, the present Frederikstraat. In the beginning of the 19th century there was already a house in the middle of this plot owned by Louis Gavaso and his wife Anthonette de la Porre. In 1875 Boye buys the house and the house from the children of Jose Antonio de Echenaquera. Six years later he subsequently has the two buildings with the current addresses Frederikstraat Si and 87 built on the...

read more

7
Ferdinandstaat 4-6-8

Posted by on Apr 23rd, 2013 in Monuments, Monuments oud | Comments Off on

7
Ferdinandstaat 4-6-8

7Ferdinandstaat 4-6-8

History In 1874 Floris Martinus Henriquez buys a plot for f. 200.- on the north side of the Middenstraat (nowadays Ferdinandstraat). He was a cabinetmaker and a year earlier he had already acquired the plot behind it on the Hoogstraat. Both plots formerly formed part of the hinterland of the Westwerf. Henriquez had houses built on the plots. In 1883 he also buys the neighboring plot on the east side (at the corner of Ferdinandstraat and Emmastraat), on which there was already a house at the time. When he dies unmarried and childless in 1889,...

read more

8
Ferdinandstraat 26

Posted by on Apr 22nd, 2013 in Monuments, Monuments oud | Comments Off on

8
Ferdinandstraat 26

8Ferdinandstraat 26

History In August 1871 the storekeeper Antonette Molina buys a plot of 3 square rods (approximately 300 square meters) on the north side of the Middenstraat (now Ferdinandstraat). The plot was part of the terrain of the Westwerf and had been measured in the same month by order of the owner Jan Ernst van de Meulen. The storekeeper Molina, who in addition was a seamstress, probably had the present monument Ferdinandstraat 26 built. In 1879 she had taken out a mortgage of f. 2000,- together with another seamstress, Anna Maria Vilaró. . After...

read more

9
Hoogstraat 7-11 and Emmastraat 30-32 “Keizershof”

Posted by on Apr 21st, 2013 in Monuments, Monuments oud | Comments Off on

9
Hoogstraat 7-11 and Emmastraat 30-32 “Keizershof”

9Hoogstraat 7-11 and Emmastraat 30-32 “Keizershof”

History Hoogstraat 7, Hoogstraat 11 and Emmastraat 30-32 were built on one lot. In 1874 the ironsmith Carl Joseph Hildeman buys this piece of land, and has a mansion in neoclassical style built on it in 1877. This is the current building Hoogstraat 11. After the decease of C.J. Hildeman and his wife Adriana Scheidelaar their son-in-law Carl Jacob George Meyer buys the property in 1892. He was a ship’s engineer and lived in the house with his family. After his death in 1910 his widow Carolina Sophia Hildeman at a certain moment leaves...

read more

10
Hoogstraat 10-12

Posted by on Apr 20th, 2013 in Monuments, Monuments oud | Comments Off on

10
Hoogstraat 10-12

10Hoogstraat 10-12

History In 1885 Johanna de Rochemont Jutting, the widow of Jan Ernst van der Meulen, sells a plot of the Westwerf to her son Jan Willem van der Meulen. On this plot with a surface area of 17 Ares and 49 centiares ( 1749 m2) Jan Willem van der Meulen has a mansion built in the classical style. Pretty soon after the completion of the property he sells it in 1887 to the sea captain James Reith from Scotland. In 1888 he also buys the adjoining northern parcel from the widow van der Meulen. Reith conjoins the two plots and has a number of annexes...

read more

11
Hoogstraat 18 “Villa Antoine”, “Villa Aminta”, “Het Zeemanshuis”

Posted by on Apr 19th, 2013 in Monuments, Monuments oud | Comments Off on

11
Hoogstraat 18 “Villa Antoine”, “Villa Aminta”, “Het Zeemanshuis”

11Hoogstraat 18 “Villa Antoine”, “Villa Aminta”, “Het Zeemanshuis”

History In 1869 Antoine Martis buys a plot on the north side of the Hoogstraat from Jan Ernst van der Meulen. The plot was a part of the Westwerf and at the time was still completely surrounded by unsold plots. In 1887 and in 1888 he purchases adjacent lots at the back. Hereupon as an architect he has his own house built, which was later on called “Villa Antoine”. Antoine Martis was head of the Building Department and is one of the first architects of the island. He already had a reputation to a certain degree when he had the house on...

read more

12
Hoogstraat 21-25

Posted by on Apr 18th, 2013 in Monuments, Monuments oud | Comments Off on

12
Hoogstraat 21-25

12Hoogstraat 21-25

History This characteristic building on the south side of the Hoogstraat was built in 1874 by the mason Herman Elsevijf. On March 5th of that year he had bought a plot between the Hoogstraat and the Middenstraat (the present Ferdinandstraat). It had been surveyed a few months before and was part of the hinterland of the Westwerf. In January 1875 the house has been completed and has been put up for inhabitation by the warden of Otrobanda. Almost immediately after the completion of the property Elsevijf also buys the plot to the west of the...

read more

13
Hoogstraat 26

Posted by on Apr 17th, 2013 in Monuments, Monuments oud | Comments Off on

13
Hoogstraat 26

13Hoogstraat 26

History In 1874 the sailor Rudolf Anthonie Jandroep buys a piece of land of the Westwerf. On this lot he has the present monument Hoogstraat 26 built in 1878. After 8 years he sells the building to Federiko Henrik Schrils who sells it off in 1894 to the sailor Leonardus Moors. Next the civil servant Hendrik Constantien van Kleunen becomes the owner in 1896. At the partition of the estate after his demise in 1907, his daughter Anna Maria van Kleunen buys out the other heirs. She herself lived in part of the house and the other part was rented...

read more

14
Hoogstraat 43

Posted by on Apr 16th, 2013 in Monuments, Monuments oud | Comments Off on

14
Hoogstraat 43

14Hoogstraat 43

History This extraordinary house on the Hoogstraat was built in 1934 by order of Edgar Pietersz. A year earlier he had bought a number of buildings on a spacious parcel on the Hoogstraat – Willemstraat corner. Most probably the buildings still dated from the last quarter of the 19th century and had been erected by the ship’s carpenter Felipe Sint Jago. The latter had acquired a piece of land from the owner of the Westwerf in 1872. When Sint Jago sold the ground in 1900, there were, among other things, two dwellings with a cistern and...

read more

15
Hoogstraat 49

Posted by on Apr 15th, 2013 in Monuments, Monuments oud | Comments Off on

15
Hoogstraat 49

15Hoogstraat 49

History This dwelling was built in 1872 commissioned by the sailors Jose Manuel Faneyte and Francisco Faneyte. They had had the house erected on the eastern part of a large plot they had bought from Jan Ernst Vermeulen. Immediately after completion, the new building, together with the vacant land on the westside, is sold for F 3.400,= to Ms. Clementina Pensu. After her death a few years later the immovable property changes hand a few times in rapid succession. In 1885 the then owner Manuel Penso Curiel sells the dwelling to Johanna...

read more

16
L.B Smithplein 6-8 – Washington Villa

Posted by on Apr 14th, 2013 in Monuments, Monuments oud | Comments Off on

16
L.B Smithplein 6-8 – Washington Villa

16L.B Smithplein 6-8 – Washington Villa

History In 1936, the LB. Smithplein was named after the man who had lived here from 1883 until his death: Leonard Burlington Smith. He is especially known as the builder of the now world famous pontoon bridge, but has been of much more importance to the island. He made the Curacaoans drink ice cooled drinks and has introduced the water and electricity plants. Smith (1839-1898) was an American captain, who settled with his second wife and four children on Curacao in 1877. Not only because the climate was favorable to his lungs, he also...

read more

17
St. Thomas College

Posted by on Apr 13th, 2013 in Monuments, Monuments oud | Comments Off on

17
St. Thomas College

17St. Thomas College

History In 1887 close to the current St. Elizabeth Hospital a boarding school for boys from the neighboring countries; Venezuela, Colombia, Santo Domingo was build by order of The Brothers of Tilburg. Initially it was named “Colegio Santo Thomas” and lessons were given in Spanish. It served until 1904 as a boarding school after which it was a regular day school for primary and secondary education. In 1948 this building was constructed by order of the brothers of Tilburg in which the secondary education was housed. Characteristics Modern...

read more

18
L.B. Smithplein 3 – Villa Belvedere

Posted by on Apr 12th, 2013 in Monuments, Monuments oud | Comments Off on

18
L.B. Smithplein 3 – Villa Belvedere

18L.B. Smithplein 3 – Villa Belvedere

History Originally, the grounds on which Belvedere was built were part of the Kura di shon Ki (see Frederikstraat 114-124). The children of the Alkmaar born Hermanus Kikkert sold part of these grounds “with proof of a demolished house” in 1865 to the public prosecutor Abraham de Rouville, married to one of the Kikkert children: Maria Adelaide. De Rouville asked his brother in law, the Dutch Willem Frederik Hendrik van Riemsdijk, to build him a dwelling in the neoclassical style, very modern for Curacao. In 1866, De Rouville was...

read more

19
Frederikstraat 113 – Marjorie’s Home – Kas di Kanchi

Posted by on Apr 11th, 2013 in Monuments, Monuments oud | Comments Off on

19
Frederikstraat 113 – Marjorie’s Home – Kas di Kanchi

19Frederikstraat 113 – Marjorie’s Home – Kas di Kanchi

History Maybe mother and daughter Pinedo needed money after their husband and father-, Johannes Martis Pinedo, had died in 1879. He owned a large piece of land he had bought from Antoine Mattey’s widow in 1852. In 1880, the la-dies decided to sell the western part of this parcel to master builder Herman Elsevijf, a former slave of governor Isaac Rammelman Elsevier. Quite soon after his emancipation in 1855 – he was 25 years old at the time – Elsevijf started to buy up derelict houses or parcels of land. He refurbished the...

read more

20
Frederikstraat 108-112 – Nieuw Kijkduin

Posted by on Apr 10th, 2013 in Monuments, Monuments oud | Comments Off on

20
Frederikstraat 108-112 – Nieuw Kijkduin

20Frederikstraat 108-112 – Nieuw Kijkduin

History Mother and daughter Kikkert of Kurd di shon Ki had this three floor house built in 1852, as can be seen from the date on the facade. In those days, the grounds were still part of Kurd di shon Ki (see Frederikstraat 114-124). It wasn’t until 1863 that the Kikkert children sold the house and the plot to their mother and sister, both named Jeannette Catherina. In 1922, years after their deaths, the only surviving of the Kikkert children, Henriette Sophia, sold the house to the merchant Gilberto Zacarias de Jongh for 12.000...

read more

21
Frederikstraat 114-124 – Klein Sint Jan – Kura di shon ki

Posted by on Apr 9th, 2013 in Monuments, Monuments oud | Comments Off on

21
Frederikstraat 114-124 – Klein Sint Jan – Kura di shon ki

21Frederikstraat 114-124 – Klein Sint Jan – Kura di shon ki

History The name of Kura di shon Ki refers to the Alkmaar born Hermanus Kikkert Jeannette Catharina Schotborgh’s second husband. In 1845, he 7 7 the 18th century house and grounds “at the expense of his fathered or to be fathered on his present wife”. Said Kikkert was not son of governor Albert Kikkert, as is often thought. he bought the yard from his then deceased mother-in-law, Mathias Schotborgh’s widow. Since 1806, Schotborgh had owned the plantation of Sint (San Juan), which explains why this house was called...

read more

22
Frederikstraat 127-133 – Centro Democraat

Posted by on Apr 8th, 2013 in Monuments, Monuments oud | Comments Off on

22
Frederikstraat 127-133 – Centro Democraat

22Frederikstraat 127-133 – Centro Democraat

History In 1836, the author Teenstra states that this is “the most prominent pri-vate dwelling along Breestraat”. Indeed, the yard extends until Frederik-straat, but the front is oriented towards Breedestraat. From there the villa was reached by a beautiful double staircase. Until he died in 1816, Pieter Francois Diedenhoven owned the yard with “a housing with several rooms, cistern, galley etc.”. Around 1800, Dieden-hoven was so wealthy, that the Curacao government forced him to loan substantial sums of money to the...

read more

23
Hendriksteeg 11-23

Posted by on Apr 7th, 2013 in Monuments, Monuments oud | Comments Off on

23
Hendriksteeg 11-23

23Hendriksteeg 11-23

  History This is a perfect example of a kura that was gradually, little by little, filled up with buildings. In 1838, there was no main building (nr. 19/21) yet, consider-ing the purchase price of 600 guilders. Number 11/13 is probably an early 20th century building, parts of number 17 will be from before the 1900s, while the remaining houses were built just before the restoration of Casa Blanca (Roodeweg 42-44) in 2000. They were intended as temporary accommodations for the inhabitants of Casa Blanca’s former outbuildings. The oldest...

read more

24
Ser’i Trapi

Posted by on Apr 6th, 2013 in Monuments, Monuments oud | Comments Off on

24
Ser’i Trapi

24Ser’i Trapi

  Translation At the mountain with stairs lived a shoemaker, his name is Don Pancho, his surname is mister compliments. Trala-la-la-la...

read more

25
Netto Bar

Posted by on Apr 5th, 2013 in Monuments, Wine & dine & music | Comments Off on

25
Netto Bar

25Netto Bar

Home of the world-famous Ròm Bèrdè

read more